An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Active Title Transfer SOFA to SOFA
  1. Proceed to the JSVRO for initial processing. Both seller and buyer must be present.

  1. JSVRO verifies the seller’s ID card and Military Registration, check the vehicle owner name, purchase date, current road tax receipt, Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI) and Property Damage Insurance (PDI), lien holder and GoJ inspection date (must not expire within 14 days from transfer). Owner must have owned the vehicle for the minimum of 120 days, have a cleared lien, and current GoJ inspection. (See 120 Wavier requirements)

  1. JSVRO verifies the buyer is eligible to register a vehicle in their name.  Buyer must have their ID card and SOFA license (Kadena issued SOFA License: Sponsor must provide a copy of all dependent’s SOFA ID and SOFA License for eligibility). If this is their first vehicle, we will require a copy of their original orders, Letter of Employment, or Letter of Authorization.  Registration privileges are authorized only to Self-Sponsored SOFA personnel. (See 30 day waiver and Spouse-only waiver).

  1. The following documents are required prior to completing paperwork: original Japanese title, JCI policy, current year road tax receipt, and PDI purchased in the buyer’s name at the time of title transfer.

  1. Once cleared for transaction both parties will sign a Letter of Attorney approved by JSVRO to present to the insurance company. 

  1. Proceed to your insurance company to complete title transfer (Fee $25-$40).

  1. Once the insurance company completes the required transfer documentation, the buyer needs to take the Bill of Sale to JSVRO to complete the transaction.  

  1. The insurance company will notify the new owner when the new Japanese original title is ready for pickup.



  1. Follow step 1-4 above. Ensure JCI policy is amended to new owner/buyer (sponsor’s name) and PDI is purchased.

  1. Complete a Bill of Sale.

  1. The seller no longer needs to be present.

  2. Complete registration worksheets and.

  1. Proceed to double check and to pay their fees at the ALPA counter. ¥1500

  1. Then head to the Land Transportation Office (512-4 Minatogawa Urasoe City) Window 2 for regular POV & MC 251cc and above, Mini Car Center (512-12 Minatogawa Urasoe City) Window 0 for yellow plates & MC 126cc-250cc, or City Hall for MC below 125cc to receive a new title in their name.

  1. Once that is complete, they return to JSVRO to receive a Military Registration.

Marine Corps Base Camp Butler