An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Personal Property Shipping Office
Distribution Management Office (DMO) MCB Camp S. D. Butler Okinawa, Japan
Collapse All Expand All
 1. Inbound



As of 04/02/2019, Okinawa is no longer weight restricted. 


  • Customers are advised that although full weight is authorized, you must keep in mind that Housing is smaller than CONUS homes and that large furniture items may not fit. 

  • Commercial storage in Japan is limited and Housing Office WILL NOT fund overflow items that do not fit 

  • Personnel are encouraged to use Non Temporary Storage (NTS) at the origin for large bulky furniture items, as well as excess items. 

Service Members should contact their sponsor and/or contact Okinawa DMO or Kadena Housing Office for questions regarding this issue. 

With the Defense Personal Property System (DPS),, members do not have to check in with DMO, Personal Property Office upon arrival. Customers can edit contact and/or see their shipment information. DPS saves all changes in the database and updates the customer’s shipment record. The customer can and should make the following modifications to their shipment record: Contact and sponsors data (e-mail addresses, phone numbers) and shipment information (delivery address if currently blank). 

When a customer’s shipment arrives at the destination location, the Transportation Service Provider (TSP) coordinates delivery directly with the customer. The TSP records the arrival and delivery of the shipment in DPS. The TSP will first attempt to telephonically contact the customer prior to other electronic notifications. As soon as you have a delivery address for your personal property you should update DPS. You can expect the carrier to begin service between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. The start and completion of any service provided by the carrier can vary depending on the type of move - local, unaccompanied baggage, Household Goods shipment, etc. 

Keep in mind that if you waive unpacking, the carrier is not required to return later to unpack or remove the empty cartons and crates. An unpacking waiver lets the carrier off the hook for completing the job, including removing empty cartons, packing materials and other debris. If at any time you decide to assist the carrier - that is, help load/unload the truck - you may relieve the carrier of any liability. 

Your basic entitlement for temporary storage-in-transit (SIT) is 90 days. If you have a legitimate need to extend your storage, you must provide a written request to DMO, Personal Property Office for an additional 90 days. Some reasons to extend temporary storage are: 

  • Serious illness of the member 

  • Serious illness or death of a dependent 

  • Impending assignment to Government quarters 

  • Directed TDY/TAD after arrival at permanent station 

  • Acts of God, i.e.; Typhoon 

You must submit your request prior to the expiration date and your request must be approved by the transportation office storing your personal property.  

If the Transportation Service Provider (TSP) missed the Required Delivery Date (RDD), and you have out of pocket expenditures, you are able to file an Inconvenience Claim. This is submitted directly to the TSP for missed agreed upon RDD, and/or delivery date out of storage.  

Receipts are not needed for per diem during the first seven days, but it’s recommended that you maintain all receipts to substantiate the claim if it exceeds the local per diem rate for meals and incidental expenses (M&IE) for the DOD customer only. DOD customers are due the greater of the per diem rate or actual expenses.  

Starting the 8th day, per diem no longer applies and you will need to submit receipts for your out-of-pocket expenses. As a reminder, this is not an entitlement, and you should contact the TSP prior to purchasing items. It’s important to remember to keep all your receipts! For more information go to 



 2. Outbound




Begin planning your move as soon as you receive your orders. Decide what type of move(s) to arrange and submit move application(s) in the Defense Personal Property System (DPS). Visit to get started. You will need to register for an account. 

First Time Users: 

• Go to; under “Popular Resources”, select “DPS, PCS & Military Moves”.  Scroll down and click the blue “Log in to DPS” button, then “Continue”. 

• You will be re-directed to the DPS registration site. “Accept”, then click either “Register as a Customer”, “OK”, then complete and submit the request for a new account. 

• Once you submit the request, you will receive an email with additional instructions (note: it can take up to 24 hours to receive the confirmation email) 


Returning Users: 

• Go to; under “Popular Resources”, select “DPS, PCS & Military Moves”.  Scroll down and click the blue “Log in to DPS” button, “Continue”, “Accept”, then “Log in with Certificate” or “log in With User ID”. 

• If you have not logged into your DPS account for more than 45 days, you will receive prompts to re-new your password. Instructions are provided on the ETA page. 


Follow the instructions in the "New User Registration" tutorial to register. After that, start your shipment briefing.  DPS will guide you through how to set up your movement of choice. 

Self-Counseling is the preferred method for shipment requests in DPS.  Once orders on hand, please go to and navigate to DPS to initiate your moving process. 

  • Members will need the following information:  

  • Rank & Full Name 

  • Contact Number: Work & (JP) Cell Phone 

  • Type of Orders/Number: PCS / Separation (EAS) / Retirement 

  • Type of Shipment(s): HHG / UB / NTS / NTS-R 

  • Residence: On base or Off Base 

  • When selecting the counseling office, you MUST select MCB Camp SD Butler.  Your shipments WILL NOT be processed for pickup if you do not select Camp Butler as your counseling office.  

Please feel free to contact your servicing DMO office for available pickup dates for your shipments at: Camp Foster/Butler, Phone # 645-0922. For the northern half of Okinawa: Camp Courtney Phone # 622-7561, Camp Hansen/Schwab Phone # 623-4337. 

  • The weight allowance for Household Goods (HHG) that may be shipped at government expense is specified in the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR 051401). These weights include the weight of all household goods you ship, placed into storage or send as unaccompanied baggage. It also includes goods you already have stored at government expense. Two factors govern the weight allowance for household goods: Pay Grade and dependents. 

** Excess weight can cost you BIG money! If household goods exceed the weight allowed, the member is required to pay for excess costs 







O-6 to O-10 




































E-1 to E-3 


5,000 is a military informational portal with fantastic resources with general information regarding PCS tips and entitlements, as well as “how to” guides on how to set up your shipments. Our offices can assist with any difficulties you may have in regard to setting up your shipment; as DMO, Personal Property Office we will be finalizing all the paperwork. DMO will utilize your orders to ensure all information is accurate and input your requested dates for pick up. Please contact any of our offices to schedule a mandatory appointment for counseling and finalizing of your shipments. 



** Unaccompanied members who have been granted permission to reside off base can now appeal to your local DMO for a letter of increased authorized weight up to their w/o dependents maximum allowance.  Members must provide a copy of authorization to move off base, along with a formal request to DMO for excess weight. ** 


Household Goods (HHG): Items associated with home and all personal property belonging to member and dependents on the effective date of the member’s PCS order. (Refer to table to Weight Allowance); assigned to a Transportation Service Provider (TSP or moving company) who is responsible for the packing, loading, transporting and delivery of the shipment. 

- Items larger than a 42” TV 

- Furniture items (beds/couch/entertainment center etc.) 


Unaccompanied Baggage (UB): Also known as expedited shipment. Part of member’s weight allowance of HHG’s that is separated from the bulk of the HHG’s is usually transported by expedited mode. Limited in weight based on new assignment location; cannot contain furniture but can contain clothing, bedding & linens, pots & pans, small electronics and collapsible baby items such as a crib, highchair, stroller, etc. IAW, Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), 051403. Unaccompanied Baggage (UB): 


  • 2,000 pounds for an active-duty Marine Service member with command-sponsored family members. The 2,000-pound weight limit is for the entire family, not for each traveler. 

  • 2,000 pounds for an unaccompanied active-duty Service member not normally assigned to furnished bachelor enlisted quarters or bachelor officer quarters. 

  • Navy Personnel are authorized 600 lbs. for the member and 200 lbs. for each dependent. Not to exceed 2000 pounds. 

  • 600 pounds for an active-duty Service member assigned to furnished bachelor enlisted quarters or bachelor officer quarters. Note: Service members are entitled to one shipment; either HHG or UB (the size of the items will determine the type of shipment) 

**Pro Gear (Professional Books, Papers & Equipment (PBP&E) weight is limited to 2,000 lbs. for member and 500 lbs. for spouse (prior approval is required for Spouse Pro Gear). Pro Gear includes items in a member’s/employee’s possession needed for the performance of official duties at the next duty station. Pro Gear must be declared at origin AND documented on inventories (M-Pro for member; S-Pro for spouse). View a list of items that can/cannot be declared as Pro Gear at: 



Non-Temporary Storage (NTS): Long-term HHG storage in lieu of transportation. If authorized based on orders, items you do not wish to ship to your new duty station; utilized at origin (pickup) location; items may remain in NTS for the duration of your tour (some restrictions may apply depending on the type of orders you hold). Example of PCS orders include: 


- TEMINS Orders 

- Special Duty Assignment (SDA) school 


1. You will utilize your new set of orders to release your NTS upon completion of school/ TAD. 

2. You will be notified via email from your respective Joint Personal Property Shipping Office (JPPSO) if your NTS is near the expiration date. If you require an extension, respond to the email with proper documentation. 


Non-Temporary Storage Release (NTSR): The release from the storage facility of long-term storage on official military orders. 

- Must have a physical address to conduct a NTSR 




Lithium Batteries:  New rules have been established for shipping lithium batteries in your HHG / UB / NTS shipments.  Not all lithium batteries can be shipped. Due to the hazards stated above, the size and quantity of lithium batteries may be limited to ensure safe movement of your personal property. In addition to making sure the lithium batteries meet the size and quantity for shipping, it is important to identify that they are in working condition without damage (i.e., major dents, cracks, etc.).  For more in depth information, please access the TRANSCOM fact sheet on 

Some batteries do not have watt hours annotated on the battery itself so the member will have to research company websites for that information.  If the information can not be found the member can utilize the following calculation to determine watt hours. 

Watt Hours = Volt (V) X Ampere hour (Ah). 

If (Ah) is listed as milliAmpere hour (mAh), divide by 1000 to get (Ah) 

Personal Procured Move (PPM): Also known as a “Do-It-Yourself” move. All aspects of the move are arranged by you (i.e., packing, loading, transporting, and unloading); may use your own vehicle, rent a truck and/or trailer, hire a commercial carrier or utilize a “you pack/ they load” method (i.e., PODs, U-Haul’s U-Box, etc.) NOTE: PPMs to overseas locations may not be authorized 


Personally Owned Vehicle (POV): Primarily an OCONUS authorized shipment, however, some locations have restrictions. Authorization within CONUS is only authorized if: 

  • Member is unable to drive due to medical reasons 

  • Insufficient time to drive to new duty station based on when orders were issued and report date 

  • Homeport Change, if authorized 


IPAC Outbound will provide a DMO/TMO endorsement letter; that will be your orders to start the process of shipping your personal property. Travel to Home of Selection (HOS) Authorized -Members authorized travel and transportation allowance from last Permanent Duty Station (PDS) when: 

  • Retired for physical disability or placed on the Temporary Disability Retired List (or TDRL) without regard to length of service. 

  • Retired with pay for any reason immediately following at least 8 years of continuous active duty (includes transfer to Fleet Reserve/Fleet Marine Corps Reserve); 

  • Separated with severance/separation pay after 8 years. 

  • Involuntarily released from active duty with readjustment or separation pay immediately following 8 years. 

Travel to a selected home must be completed within 1 year after active-duty termination. Service members are authorized to ship to one of the following: 

  • Home of selection 

  • A place other than the HOS limited in cost to the HOS, HOR, or place entered active duty 

  • Non-Temporary Storage 


Shipping Alcohol: 

In addition to existing PPM procedures, Marines and Civilian Marines are now eligible to request shipment of alcoholic beverages as part of their HHG shipments. 


Alcoholic beverages are not considered by Customs and Boarder Protection (CBP) to be either household goods or personal effects. Consequently, they are not eligible for duty-free treatment on entry to the United States. Because imports of alcoholic beverages are subject to state regulation, it is very important that members do their homework before shipping alcoholic beverages to the Continental United States (CONUS). 


Members are responsible for completing the requirements for the shipment of alcoholic beverages to their destination(s) when shipped with their HHGs and/or when shipped as a Personally Procured Move(s). 


Members must inform DMO at the time of their counseling that they are shipping alcohol. Failure to inform the DMO of the intent to ship alcoholic beverages can result in shipment not being picked up on the scheduled date. Members must understand the Carrier/TSP has the right to refuse to pack alcoholic beverages without penalty. Inclusion of alcoholic beverages within HHGs shipments presents additional risk considerations. By electing to include alcoholic beverages in government-procured transportation, members are advised that there is no climate control environment during transit or storage, and shipments are often exposed to extreme temperatures. This may cause some alcoholic beverages to freeze, explode or spoil. In addition, inclusion of alcoholic beverages counts toward members authorized weight allowance. 


Prohibited Items in Alcoholic Beverages: 


- Beverages containing wildlife/wildlife parts, such as snakes, scorpions, etc. 

- Beverages with agricultural products, such as root products, etc. 

- Beverages carbonated or under pressure to include champagne, pressurized beer products, Chu-Hi's. 

* Pretty much NO can products* 

The following website contain additional information on the importation of alcoholic beverage into the US (please use personal computer): 

 3. Shipping a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV)

Shipping a Privately Owned Vehicle (POV):  USTRANSCOM Advisory 19-0115 GPC IV Advisory

 As of 1 October 2019, DMO will no longer be handling POV Shipments.          

            - Member will need to make an appointment at:

            - During initial counseling, the counselor will provide the member a DD Form 1797 to ship a POV


       New turn-in/pickup location is:


            - Naha, Okinawa: 1-18-15 Minatomachi, Naha 900-0001. Phone: 81 98-989-6817

       This location is by appointments only, walk-ins are not permitted and will be turned away.

 Additional information on importing/converting vehicles to U.S. specifications may be obtained from:

Note: Members that have a POV stored in government storage or were approved for commercial storage are not authorized a POV shipment from Okinawa, Japan. Please get with DMO for procedures on releasing a POV from storage.


 4. Moving Tip

Moving Tip:

Member Responsibilities – ORIGIN

• You (or your designated agent) must be available on agreed upon pack/pick-up days between 0800 and 1700

• Ensure residence/pick-up location is tidy and free of pests/infestations (the local agent may refuse to pack your shipment for non-compliance)

• Disconnect all electronics/appliances, defrost and clean fridge/freezers, etc.

• Dispose of unnecessary items

• Take down TVs (to include wall mounts), pictures, curtains, curtain rods and other items that are secured to the walls.

• Remove all property from attics/crawl spaces

• If you have more than one shipment, separate items (i.e. if you have HHG & UB, make sure items are separated from each other so they are not accidentally packed in the wrong shipment)

• Separate Pro Gear (for member and spouse) and ensure that items are marked appropriately on inventories

• Do not leave important paperwork jewelry, medications, etc. unattended. (Recommend these items are placed in a locked room or inside of a vehicle)

• Ensure all cartons and loose items have inventory tags and appear on inventory sheets

• Drain all gasoline, oil and water from power equipment (i.e. lawn mowers, etc.)

• For a detailed list of your rights and responsibilities read the “It’s Your Move Booklet” available online at


Member Responsibilities – DESTINATION


• Make sure contact information is updated in DPS so that the TSP or PPO can inform you of the status of your shipment

• If possible, be prepared to accept delivery of your property as soon as it arrives. This will eliminate additional handling and reduce the change of loss/damages and unnecessary storage expenses.

• You or your designated agent must be home on agreed upon delivery dates between 0800 and 1700

• You are allowed a “one time placement” of household goods

• Check each item off the inventory list; make sure you receive ALL your property

• If you discover loss and/or damages at the time of delivery, list by appropriate inventory number on the Joint Statement of Loss/Damage at Delivery form


 5. DPS Claims for Loss/Damages

DPS Claims for Loss/Damages


• The TSP MUST mark your shipment as “delivered complete” status before you can start the claim process.

• If it has been more than a week after delivery, contact your local Personal Property Office for assistance.

• If property is lost or damaged, claim is filed directly with the TSP through your DPS move application.

• For Full Replacement Value or like item:

• Member has 75 days to initially notify the TSP that a claim will be done

• Member has 9 months to complete the claims the process

• At any time during the process all or part of the claim may be turned over to the Military Claims Office (MCO).

• How to reach the MCO:

• TSP may offer quick claim settlement.

• TSP is responsible for obtaining repair estimates.

• Member and TSP negotiate settlement through DPS

• TSP must pay, deny or offer to settle a final claim within 60 days of receipt of completed DPS claim.


 6. Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS)

Customer Satisfaction Survey (CSS)

• What is the CSS?

            - Consists of 8 questions

            - Rates the Transportation Service Provider (TSP)

• Why is it important?

            - Ensures only quality movers are assigned to ship household goods

• How do I complete my CSS?

            - Link and phone number provided in DPS email after shipment has been completed


 7. Claims


-How do I submit a claim for damages?
Initial claim is started in DPS. Information on claims process can be found at: To reach your service Military Claims Office, go to:

-I submitted my damage claim and haven’t heard from anyone.
If DPS was used to arrange the shipment, claims for loss/damages are submitted online using DPS. The Transportation Service Provider (TSP) will review the claim online and communicate settlement directly through DPS. The TSP has sixty days to pay, deny or make an offer of settlement on the claim. If an offer is accepted, the TSP has 30 to make payment. If the member has not heard from their TSP within that timeframe they should notify the responsible destination Personal Property Office. Members may also transfer part or all of the claim to their Military Claims Office (MCO). Navy MCO can be contacted by email at

 8. Resources



PCS & Military Moves:

POV Locator:

Shipping a POV:

Storing a POV:

“It’s Your Move” booklet (Military):

 “It’s Your Move” booklet (Civilian):


Be proactive –start early!

Stay on top of your move. If you don’t hear from your Transportation Service Provider (TSP or carrier) within 10 days of pack out please contact your origin Personal Property Office.


Marine Corps Base Camp Butler