An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.


Pet Info
Moving With Pets
DOD regulations limit pet shipment to passengers in PCS status only.
Air Mobility Command and most commercial airlines compute how much you pay in pet travel fees based on your pet’s weight plus the weight of its kennel. Once you receive orders to Okinawa, contact your Traffic Management Office right away. At that time TMO will need to know your pet’s weight as well as the kennel’s weight and dimensions.
Space-Available Pet Program: Fifteen days prior to AMC flight departure, open pet spaces are available to travelers that already have two pet spaces booked. Contact your local TMO to arrange the additional space. If there is extra space available for your pet, your transportation office will secure a reservation in the passenger/pet reservation system. A confirmation printout will be provided to you to present upon request as the authority to move more than two pets per family.
Note: The commercial airline industry currently imposes a 150-pound weight restriction per pet and kennel and does not allow pet shipments during seasonal hot/cold conditions.
Click here to see AMC guidance on traveling with pets.
Please keep in mind regulations and restrictions change, therefore we recommend you confirm this information with your local transportation office.
Pet Quarantines
On arrival in Japan, dogs and cats must undergo import quarantine for a set period to screen out rabies (and in the case of dogs, rabies and leptospirosis), depending on conditions.
Living in Bachelor Housing: Per MCO P11000.22, residents of Bachelor Housing are prohbited from keeping cats or dogs in Bachelor or Family Housing.
Be advised that pets (other than aquatic animals and caged small birds) can delay, and in some cases, impede assignment to on-base quarters. The no pet policy is in effect for mid- and high-rise tower apartments. You cannot remain on TLA because of nonacceptance of quarters due to pet ownership.
Pet Licensing
Dogs and cats entering Japan are required to have current rabies vaccination and health certificates. (Dogs should also be vaccinated for kennel cough.) Preferably, certificates should be issued by a military veterinarian using DD FORM 2208 for the rabies vaccination and DD FORM 2209 for the health certificate. Rabies date must be put on the health certificate.
Pets are required to have the rabies vaccination no less than 30 days but not more than 365 days prior to entry. Health certificates must be issued no more than 10 days prior to entry. Copies of these certificates, along with PCS orders, must accompany pets and should be affixed to the outside of the shipping cage.
If a pet is traveling without a sponsor's orders, USFJ Forms 380EJ are necessary for customs-free entry and should be obtained from the member's military sponsor at the new permanent duty station in Japan. All original forms must be with the sponsor when going through customs.
Registrations, vaccination, identification and control of pets: All dogs and cats must be registered with the local Veterinary Treatment Facility, or other agency aboard the base as designated by the installation commander, and proof of registration submitted to the Family Housing Office, prior to entry to family housing units. The Family Housing Office will ensure the pet’s information is recorded within the installation’s files. Proof of registration will consist of civilian or military veterinarian certification of required vaccinations and a functioning microchip identification device. All dogs and cats must wear a collar at all times with a valid, current rabies vaccination tag or pet registration tag.
Number of pet allowed: Residents of family housing will be limited to no more than (2) dogs, (2) cats, or (1) cat and (1) dog.
The pet must be registered with the Military Police.
ID tag can be requested from the veterinary office.
Prohibited dog breeds: Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, canid/wolf hybrids, or any canine breed with dominant traits of aggression that present an unreasonable risk to the health and safety of personnel in family housing areas. In the absence of formal breed identification (e.g., certification by a civilian organization such as the American Kennel Club), a determination of “majority breed” will be made by a Veterinary Corps Officer or a civilian veterinarian.
Marine Corps Base Camp Butler